part nine - bashing around london.

how do you know when your train has arrived at oxford station? 
just look around you and see who's getting off. if it happens to be tottering old men (university professors) and studious looking young men (university students), you're at the right place.
eeep! 
I suddenly want to move to oxford. 
immediately. it's basically the most beautiful place on earth. 
oh! 
the buildings, university, churches...the bleating of the sheep in the rolling green hills, the honking of the geese...is fantastic. 
guys. 
GUYS!! 
england is just the coolest.


ok. 
we went to blenheim palace (in woodstock, oxfordshire) for many reasons. 
the biggest being to see the dress my dear friend atlanta (hi atlanta!) made and was displayed there in the "young victoria" exhibit. 
SO COOL. 
we did see it. 
and OH. 
to see her name on the plaque next to it was EPIC!!!


next we walked around the grounds. 
took a random tour of some rooms led by a ghostly apparition of a lady projected onto the walls (strange).
oh! 
and apparently several movies were filmed here! 
young victoria for one (library scene with prince albert and something else) and a lot of gulliver's travels (never seen it...but really want to now).


back to oxford. 
we walked to the "eagle and child pub" (where c.s. lewis and j.r.r. tolkien used to meet) and just happened to accidentally SIT AT THEIR TABLE!! 
what. 
we tried discussing theological issues while drinking our cappuccinos...but we ended up sitting there and giggling the whole time.


as we walked to the train station, there was an attempt at crossing the street. 
needless to say, we nearly died and I squealed...rather loudly. 
and when I say squealed...it was the guttural rebecca screech that sometimes comes out of my mouth. 
oh gosh.


finally, back to london, we went to see "39 steps" which just happened to be the most hilarious show of all time and now in my theatre bucket list to be in. 
my goodness.
mom and I had to sit separated...and wouldn't you know a huge group of American girls (a little younger than me) show up and sit between/around us. 
I was suddenly in this random group of girls and it totally looked like I belonged with all of them. 
and I think my awkward "staring at the ceiling and pretending to admire the beautiful handiwork" face may show up in a couple of their photos. 
le sigh.

No comments:

Post a Comment